My Redbubble

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Martial Art Profile: Hap Ki Do (합기도)

Hap Ki Do is a Korean Martial Art that shares many characteristics to the Japanese Martial Art, Aikido. The essence of Hap ki do is countering. It is a "Soft" Martial Art, in that you use your opponents energy or power against himself (in contrast, Tae Kwon Do & Karate are "Hard" Martial Arts, in that they both match your power & energy against your opponents power & energy). Through joint-locks, manipulation of your opponent, grappling, and sparse kicking, Hap ki do practitioners seek to control their opponent's own fighting moves (Punch, kick, grab, etc.). It is very effective when practiced well, as students of this art practice on countering a wide range of both Martial Art attacks and "un-skilled" attacks.

My school also teaches the art of Hap Ki Do, so I know how painful and effective it is from first hand experiance :) My master is I beleive a 5th or 6th Dan(단, Degree) Black Belt in Hap Ki Do. The Video I have Included shows a few of hundreds (maybe thousands!) of Hap ki do techniques. Enjoy!

No comments: